Monday, June 30, 2008

Water birds

I've been trying to photograph the osprey all spring/summer. There are nesting boxes built all over the place in the Rideau Ferry area but every time I'm there no one happens to be sitting on them. I lucked out and came across this guy today. It's difficult to grasp how big they are from a photo but in case you're interested they can be as tall as 2' with a wingspan of 6'; definitely not a small bird/raptor. I'm happy to have found him today.

Also, this loon decided to fish in the shallow water just off the dock so I spent some time snapping shots of him when he wasn't underwater. I particularly love the second shot because it demonstrates their gorgeous markings (check out his neck) but you can also see water droplets on his head from his fishing expedition :)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I'm so happy you got these awesome shots ~ finally!! I watch these guys every day, both the osprey & the loon diving for fish all the day long! (ok, so the 'sprey puts on a far more spectacular show when he swoops down and snatches his take-out by the talons from the lake!)

The loon is such a majestic presence, presiding end to end over the whole lake. There is not an hour of the day that they cannot be heard calling, shrilling, hooting, or crying their mournful/soulful call of the wild.

Beautiful shots, Jennifer; you've displayed the features that are usually too difficult to catch with the naked eye!

Thank you!!

Sherry said...

Telescope? What telescope!? That's not me peering across the lake 24-7!!

Nuh-uhh!! :-)

Photo-Africa said...

Love the bird shots!!