Saturday, June 21, 2008

2008 NHL Hockey Draft (round one)

I attended the 2008 NHL Entry Draft here in Ottawa last night. If you didn't already know, I'm a huge hockey fan. These definitely aren't the best photos I've taken but I am so happy with them regardless. We had 300-level seats so I was really far away from the action and I learned how hard it is to shoot in low light, from a great distance, with a manual rather than automatic-focus lens (70-300mm). I took 400+ photos and while I *thought* everything was in focus while I was shooting away, the vast majority were not and many were blurry because of my unsteady hand. Here are some representative shots; there are lots more and I'll probably put them on facebook if you're interested. I was definitely star-struck.

Lots of fun was had outside before the draft actually began. Those Buffalo Sabres fans.....


Some of the highest ranked prospects were outside signing autographs before everything got started. You had to get there really early to get in line for that - and we didn't - so I did my best to shoot through the masses. This is Luke Schenn who played for the Kelowna Rockets and whom is originally from Saskatoon so some of you may know about him. He was chosen fifth overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs which, while he has the most beautiful blue eyes (can't see them here though), means that I can't be a fan of his because I am, of course, a Senators fan :)
This is Drew Doughty who played for the Guelph Storm in the OHL. He was selected second overall by the L.A. Kings.

The highlight of the night - BY FAR - for me was the opportunity to meet NHL legend Bobby Orr. He was sitting in a box just beneath us and was only too happy to sign some autographs. Not only did he sign my jersey (AND it's legible!) but he was happy to let me bud in line to do it (haha) and he gave me a nice shoulder squeeze too.....am I too old/too cool to say I'm never washing my sweater or my shoulder again?!?!?! LOL

The majority of the evening's excitement was reserved for Steven Stamkos of the Sarnia Sting. He's been long-expected to be drafted No.1. Here he's being interviewed by a TSN reporter; it might be Jennifer Hedger but I can't be sure from this angle.

He was , in fact, drafted first overall (to the Tampa Bay Lightning) and here he's getting a bear hug from a friend/family member.
Here Stamkos is again on the stage with the big-wigs of the Lightning, getting all dressed up in his new sweater!

As I mentioned before Drew Doughty was chosen second overall.
This next photo is merely for Brannon; he's a Philadelphia Flyers fan and an even bigger fan of their General Manager (and former player), Bobby Clark (yellow tie).


Each player shook hands with Gary Bettman, the NHL Commissioner, as they were chosen and made their way to the stage.
This was a late draft choice of the Minnesota Wild (No. 23) but the player, Tyler Cuma plays for the Ottawa 67's so I just had to post this one.
You probably don't need an explanation for this next one but, of couse, Wayne Gretzky was in da house.....
I thought you west coast Ladies might appreciate a quick shot of the Canucks pick, Cody Hodgson as he's making his way over to be interviewed by TSN's James Duthie.
....and if you're from Edmonton then you'll be happy to meet Jordan Eberle.....
....and of course, if you like the Calgary Flames then you should meet Greg Nemisz. FYI to the east coasters, the Habs traded their draft pick ....
Daniel Alfredsson (I love him!) made the pick announcement for my Ottawa Senators; here he's standing with Sens owner Eugene Melnick and NHL commissioner, Gary Bettman. They drafted Sweden's Erik Karlsson.
I was seated practically beside the stage (only up high) so it was often difficult to see the sweaters on the players because they faced straight ahead; finally I got a good shot of one, Joe Colborne.So, I think that's the most photos I've ever posted in one entry before. If you're still here, thanks for reading! I got at least a shot of each of the first 30 picks but I couldn't possibly post them *all*.... :)

5 comments:

Jenn M said...

SO COOL!! Alex would be so jealous! He watched last night on tv :) It looks like you had an amazing time - and how cool you got to meet Bobby Orr!

Sandra :) said...

I was definitely adopted :D

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

very, very cool!!!!! I heart Wayne!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dylan would be so jealous if I told him you actually got to go to the draft.

Sherry said...

Wow!! Great pictures, great opportunity!! I soo wish I could have been there too!!

LUCKY GIRL!! Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!!

Bobby Orr even!! Doesn't get much better than that!!