Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A trip to the locks

It was another really really nice day in Ottawa; very cold but beautiful. Knowing that we only have so many of these days left I decided to take advantage of the day and expose myself to some sun (gotta get my vitamin D!) as the lab is completely devoid of any natural light; in fact, it's windowless.
For those of you that are unaware, the Rideau Canal waterway (built from 1826-1832) was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in June of this year. For us locals, it's a pretty big deal. My photos today were all taken at the lockstation in downtown Ottawa (it's one of 24 lockstations between Ottawa and Kingston) that lies between Parliament Hill and the Chateau Laurier. I have a little claim to fame here as well. There are 2 lockstations situated where my great grandfather (x 3, I think) originally built his home and the lockstations are named after him (and is my maiden name). Pretty cool as far as I am concerned.

Looking through the locks towards the Ottawa River (and Hull). There were some ducks bathing in the remaining water.

Looking up at the Chateau Laurier and the gorgeous sky.

The locks are still opened manually.

Hand cranks that are used to open the locks.

Looking straight through a hand cranks.

5 comments:

Jenn M said...

Gorgeous shots today Jenn!! That's really cool that the lock is named after your grandfather! I can't even pick a favorite, they're all great!!

Lorelei said...

Wonderful shots, Jenn!

I absolutely love the perspective on the third one and the last one so I'd have to say that those are my favourites.

And a very cool store about it being named after your grandfather!

Janny A. said...

GREAT shots!! I think someone might have found her something old in there too, huh? hi hi

The locks and Canal are always such a great place to go shoot! Must have been COLD by the river today though!!! It's even better around Winterlude time! :D

They really all are Amazing Jenn!! :)

kimberina said...

Great shots!

I love the Chateau Laurier! We stayed there in the summer for the dragon boat regatta, and it was awesome!!!

Theresa T said...

Very neat. Thisis something that I've never seen before-thanks for showing it to me!