Saturday, December 27, 2008

Boxing Day with the Blacks

We hosted a Boxing Day dinner for Brannon's family yesterday; I'd never even cooked a turkey before so I took lots of notes from my mother during the cooking of her dinner the day before. I also had to borrow a few "tools" from her too! Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite thinking that Brannon and I would probably kill each other during the process (we had a great time actually). Dinner was served exactly on time :)

The dining room all set up; the walls aren't actually *that* yellow.

A little closer up; too bad you can't really see my centrepiece here :(
Mr. Turkey all stuffed just before popping him into the oven.
Five hours later, he was 'done like dinner'. And for the record, my stuffing tasted just like my mom's so I'd say it was a success. I was even 'smart' and made another dressing (just baked in the oven) so I'd have lots leftover - Dad would be jealous :)
Since the table isn't at all big enough for all the dishes, we dished up in the kitchen. From left, mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese (YUM), italian sausage and apple stuffing, turkey (already carved), squash, maple-glazed carrots, stuffing out of the bird, gravy (4 whole cups!), bean salad (Donna), creamy broccoli salad (Donna), and italian salad with fixins on the lower level (Fran) along with cheddar biscuits.
Missing from the photo are the apps; sugar-coated pecans, pineapple dip and butternut squash & cheese mini-souffles (I need practice at this souffle thing) as well as Teeg's pecan pie and Donna's apple pie.
Think we were full afterwards?!?!?! I swear I used every dish and utensil in my house to prepare this meal - at least 3 times! lol

Someone trying to take credit :)
Yes, he eats ketchup on Christmas dinner.....BAH!

Fran brought the gift of the day; it's a puzzle game that you can put money into. Unfortunately, the recipient has to solve the puzzle to get the money :)
Bill worked on it until he got it :)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

And a great day was had by all!!

I'm so glad it all went well for you!! It is obvious that you also excel in the cooking department, as well as all your many other talents!

(Funny, WE had dinner with 'the Blacks' too!!)

Sandra :) said...

Your Christmas dinner looks like perfection - you've obviously inherited your mom's talent! Someone has to teach Uncle Dennis tho that being asked to carve the turkey doesn't mean that he also throws the @(*)&#@@# carcass IN THE COMPOST BIN!!! *mutters and glares at the guilty party* ;)

Anonymous said...

You these things, I have read twice, for me, this is a relatively rare phenomenon!
Personalized Signature:常州麻将,常州三打一,常州攻主,常州斗地主,常州4人升级