Saturday, February 16, 2008

Winterlude

Brannon and I dragged ourselves out of bed early this morning to beat the crowds to Confederation Park; I knew if there were a bajillion people there I wouldn't get anywhere near the ice sculptures in order to take some pictures. It was still a struggle though with the bright sunlight and the fact that they are made of ice and are obviously transparent. I was very impressed by the craftmanship and artistry of some of the work. I took ~50 photos so here are a few. I'd like to find some time to play with some image-editing software but I know it'll take me hours/days to figure them out so you get plain old pics again today....

The Viking Ship

Our Inukshuk

Just to make you jealous of our Beavertails....it wasn't even open yet :(

I forget it's significance but still love the photo...oops!

I thought the Ghost Rider was pretty neat....

There's gotta be a polar bear.....I liked the way the sun shone on/through it.

They showcased a lot of Native art; it's hard to tell but this is an ice carving too.

They even had a dinosaur kingdom....very cool! Believe it or not, this is a replica of the T. rex in the Museum of Nature (Ottawa).

Candles burning in the ice at the ice cafe where the bar and furniture are all made of ice!

Polar Express

4 comments:

Alycia Hildebrand said...

The ice sculptures look so cool. I LOVE beaver tails!!! Uber yummy!!

Sondra said...

The polar bear one is stunning :) The light is gorgeous.

Jenn M said...

You got some gorgeous shots! I love love love ice sculptures and you captured them beautifully. I can't pick a fave!

Theresa T said...

Great job on shooting ice. I imagine that can't be easy to capture well.

I just have to ask-what is a beaver tail (other than the tail on the animal)? Never heard of it before. I don't think it's a West Coast thing.