Sunday, December 2, 2007

Baking up a storm....

....Literally!! Ottawa is expecting yet another big snowstorm tonight and tomorrow; although so is the rest of the country from what I've seen on the weather network. Anyway, it's that time of year again and my house is smelling wonderful. I spent the better part of today getting started on my Christmas baking; Brannon was watching football anyway so it was a great distraction. I made 4 batches of treats today and I have lots more to get done this week before the big cookie exchange this weekend. Unfortunately I'll miss the gathering as I'll be in the Finger Lakes region of NY state this weekend but I'm sending my treats along anyway.

Bird's Nests; light cookie rolled in walnuts and filled with raspberry jam. Y-U-M!!

Orange cookies (not orange flavoured though); recipe courtesy of Brigitte. It was my first attempt at these and while they may not look so appetizing (I haven't glazed them yet), they are wonderful! Sweet...but not too sweet. They're actually this colour since there is a cup of cooked and pureed carrots in them. I should call Jerry Seinfeld's wife to give her the tip! :) lol

Cranberry cookies; this recipe is a favourite every year. This time I substituted raspberry-flavoured cranberries for the plain cranberries. They will also be glazed once they are completely cool.

These were a pain-in-the-butt to make but they're worth it since they taste good. They're crispy peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. It looks like icing sugar on the tray but it's not; I set the tray outside to cool the chocolate since the fridge was full and it started to snow!

I still have sugar and shortbread cookies to make in addition to my famous maple fudge and lemon bars. I'll be spending lots of time in the kitchen this week, despite trying to get ready for a trip to NY this weekend, followed by a trip to Banff next week.

6 comments:

Pam said...

The last set of treats look so good. Maybe you can send the recipe my way?

Jenn M said...

oh wow they all look delicious! I wish i was that ambitious - i've been talking about xmas baking all week and I haven't done a thing.

It sounds like you have a busy couple of weekends coming up - I can't wait to see hte pics :)

Theresa T said...

Mmmmm..... cookies.....

Cookie question, for the cranberry cookies, did you use craisins (or something similar)? I was wondering because somehow we seen to have acquired a few too many bags of these and I was thinking of using them to make cranberry-white chocolate chip cookies but didn't know how they bake up. So I saw your baking and I thought that I would ask.

Lorelei said...

Oh sure... great...

Now I want COOKIES! How can you do this to the pregnant woman!?

LOL

Great pics, hun. Wish I could come and steal a few.

Kim said...

YUM! Everything looks delicious!!!

Sondra said...

Mmmm peanut butter balls! I make PB Balls every year, and I always have to make a bazillion because I eat so much myself, and then everyone else loves them too.