Saturday, January 5, 2008

Wild Turkies

Guess what? It's snowing again! The turkies are around pretty regularly when it's snowy and gray outside; but never when the sun is shining. Boo. Regardless, I've been stalking them for over a week now and today I caught them eating right out of Brannon's parents' bird feeder. With the deep snow, they're having difficulty finding food.

I mentioned last week that I had a special interest in wild turkies; that is because when I was a kid my parents raised them in conjunction with the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) to repopulate eastern Ontario. We raised them and then the MNR released them. Literally all of the turkies we see here now (and there are lots!) are descendants of ours. I absolutely love them and have countless hysterical stories about 'life with turkies'. This post is dedicated to 'Peaches', the only one that ever became a pet. He was never released because he was far too tame and eventually lived out his days on a breeding farm after my parents stopped raising them :)






I also have to shout out a huge congratulations to Canada's Junior Men's hockey team who won gold at the World Junior Championship today in a nail-biter against Sweden; they won 3-2 in overtime. I didn't think to snap a photo of the tv during the game, nor even during the victory celebration, so here are James Duthie and Bob Mackenzie discussing the game on TSN. Brannon and I watched each and every game (like we do every year) and loved every minute of it!!

1 comment:

Callista said...

Eeek I am terrified of bird, especially turkeys. But I am happy someone has some love for them hehee.