Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My plants

This first photo is of some blooms on my new and *free* tree. The city of Ottawa has a campaign called Trees for Tomorrow where citizens can pre-order a tree to plant on their property. I signed up months ago and finally received my tree late last week. I chose a serviceberry/juneberry tree because it's a relatively small tree and I didn't know where I was going to be living at the time when I ordered it. Regardless, a few days after I got it home (although it's obviously not planted yet since we move in 10 days!!!) it began to bloom. I can't wait to see it next year after it's had a year to grow!

I know you're all interested in how my herbs are coming along...haha.....they were way overdue for transplantation to bigger pots but I gave away all my pots last year (long story) and hadn't found the time to buy more yet so I emptied my cupboards of mugs/little ceramic dishes that I wasn't using and will be using those in the meantime to grow our basil and cilantro. It seemed like overnight the cilantro went from being these long thin plants to having perfectly formed leaves and the colour of them all is gorgeous. I can't wait until they're big enough to eat!

6 comments:

Candice said...

I love the mugs and cups- they look so cute :) One day when I have a small garden I want to dedicate it almost entirely to herbs. Right now the cats and dogs tend to eat them if they are anywhere in the house...

Theresa T said...

Yay on getting your new tree home. And getting flowers so quickly must feel like a bonus.

katei371 said...

I really like the first picture! And what a neat initiative for Ottawa to sponsor.

jillian said...

I love the sepia tones of the first picture! How do you do that? I can only set mine to black&white

Jenn M said...

I'm jealous!! my (store bought) herbs died about 2 weeks ago ;)

Anonymous said...

Great use of unused dishes!

The tree picture is fantastic.