Thursday, June 11, 2009

Doors Open Ottawa - Carleton County Gaol

We're getting near the end of this series of photos - I promise!

I've wanted to visit this place for as long as I can remember but I've never had the opportunity before. These photos were taken at the former Carleton County Gaol. It was functional from 1842 until 1972 and today it's a hostel and a museum.


I probably would have missed this little herb garden had C.P. not pointed it out. I guess nothing's ever garbage at a hostel!
The gaol was the site of what is thought to be Canada's last public execution. Prisoners were hanged right here at the front of the building. There is a platform behind the wooden doors that would have been open for public viewing. Then the trap door would be opened and the person would be hanged for everyone to see :(
I couldn't get a better shot because the courtyard is enclosed by a stone wall so I couldn't get any farther away!

So dramatic :)

These are the night-time cells; they're literally just wide enough for a person to fit in. It would be hard to even turn around. Luckily the rooms where travelers stay have been reno'd :)

Hehe - and just for fun, this is a goofed-up shot but I couldn't resist. The building is thought to be haunted by Patrick James Whelan (the last prisoner to be executed) and this looks rather ghostly so I thought I'd post it :)

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Very interesting !